03 February 2011

Memo | Favourite film? Impossible.



One of the questions I love to ask people I meet is "What's your favourite film?". It's an ice-breaker, it can lead to all kinds of new conversation, and I think it says so much about the person themselves. Unfortunately, I can never answer that question when asked of myself (which also probably reveals far too much about my personality). To name just one favourite film would be like choosing one favourite song or one favourite vintage dress; it changes with the mood or time of day. I might be feeling nostalgic and go for Gone with the Wind. Or perhaps I'm in the mood for a little pick-me-up, in which case Singin' in the Rain. The Godfather might suit my more serious frame of mind. The point is that there is no number one. They're all contenders and that's the way I like it.
My list includes musicals, comedies, costume dramas, documentaries, biblical epics, mob movies, westerns, french new wave, P.O.W dramas, black comedies, foreign films, ballet and a mockumentary about a fake rock band. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. What I love about favourite films is that "best" doesn't come into it. I can appreciate that a favourite film might not be the most technically brilliant ~ It's how it makes me feel that's important.

What are your favourite(s)?